Selamat Datang di Arfelia's Site

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Cutting Your Own Hair (With Your Eyes Closed)

There's a little history to this one.
For years I've cut both of my daughter's hair.
Then, a few years back we watched this video entitled Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. In this story the young lady, the heroine of the movie, abruptly cuts her own hair and then runs away to join the circus.
Fast forward a few years and my eldest daughter comes over and announces she has cut her own hair.
It didn't look so bad!
Around the same time I had taken to shaving in the shower with a steam free mirror.
And then one day I went to get a haircut and the barber was closed, and I really wanted a haircut.
Then it hit me. I'd cut my own hair. I stood before the mirror and started clipping, but I couldn't see the back very well.
The steam free mirror didn't work very well so I had taken to shaving with my eyes closed in the shower and it worked quite well as I could feel the stubble I had missed with my fingers
Then it occurred to me.
Why not cut my hair in the shower with my eyes closed.
I laughed to myself, but I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try.
In the hallway in our small apartment hangs a sign which states Try Another Way.
So into the shower I went.
I wet my hair, shook it, and then let my fingers seek out the longer strands of hair, and clipped them off.
My fingers really knew what they were doing. They seemed to instinctively know what to do and where to go by feel. I worked slowly and carefully, and it only took about 5 or 10 minutes.
But, I thought, this is going to be a mess when I get out.
But it wasn't.
It was pretty good.
I shaved the back of my neck and brushed my hair and let it dry.
By the time it dried and I brushed it again, it not only looked pretty good, but darn good.
I honestly couldn't believe how well it turned out.
There were a couple of long strands that I clipped with the aide of the mirror, and as the days went on I'd see a stray strand here or there and trim it, but not much really.
Then the true test came.
My daughters' were coming over. I'd ask them, without telling them I'd done it myself, how it looked.
But, before I could ask they said, "Nice haircut dad. You didn't get it cut as short as you usually do. It looks nice."
I had passed the test.
Do I always cut my own hair? No, but it's nice to know that I can do it in a pinch.

No comments: